Thursday, April 11, 2013

How to choose a book

I was browsing the shelves of a bookshop the other day, looking to pick up a new read.
Over the years, I have read a wide range, literature, fiction, non-fiction. Biography/Auto biography. 'Mens' war and Espionage and thriller. 'Ladies' romance and crime.
No category should be banned, If I like a book - I'll read it. Reading my kids Harry Potter books - it's still reading....

Anyhow, I was picking up books but quite rapidly discarding them and moving on - it got me wondering why do I do that.
What is it that allows a book to be chosen or discarded.
Sometimes a title stands out - only to be let down by it's subject.
Sometimes it's the cover design, a great piece of Art or Striking graphics, maybe subtle enough to match a given mood.
Maybe I know of the Author or the screenplay taken from it - The latest academy award nominee or booker prize winner.

Strange as it maybe, all the above are more in line with what makes me 'want' to buy. Exceptions, granted do come in - but after all if a book isn't high on the perceived like-list  then it implies it's on the dislike-list and is rejected.

But above all, there stands out one reference point to any book that makes or breaks a purchase.
The word count !

I'm not an analyst - I'm not able to tell if a book has 20,000 or 50,00 words. But instantly I do do know if the layout is presenting few words for big costs, let me explain;

If a book passes the initial Title/subject/cover/blurb/Author scan - the next obvious task is to open the pages.
Is the typeface large ?
Are the margins wide ?
What space between the lines ?

Barely a second has passed, and instantly I know, this book will or not last me a week.
Only then does the cost come into question.

But the end decision is - Is this book worth spending money on to give me an enjoyable return ?

Some books do, but sadly - most books don't pass. In the latter category I hate to suggest, but feel it's true - the more modern the Author, the less their effort in writing.
If the book designer has to hide little content in wide typeface - forget it - I decline and you, the Author lose out.

And as for 'Authors' who allow others to write books - in their name ! Shame !

James.

No comments:

Post a Comment